Fremont High School, Oakland
(From the Academy Web site):
State Partnership Academies are a collaborative effort between the California State Department of Education which provides basic program funding and guidelines, a local school district, which provides instructors, a site, necessary instructional materials, and a specific industry which provides mentors, summer jobs for students, site tours, an advisory board, and other assistance. For example, Media Academy students work at media sites during the summer, meet with professional journalist in a variety of situations, have professional mentors, visit media sites, and take part professional journalism events, such as the Freedom Forum sponsors, as invited guests.
- We are a Califronia State Partnership Academy between the state, Oakland Unified School District, and journalism profession
- Designed as a career program for at-risk students
- Organized in subject blocks
- Integrated curriculum and product oriented
- Authentic Evaluation (Yes, if they don't like the newspaper they leave it on the ground, and if they don't like the radio show they turn it off.
Library Clerk/Technologist Chair
Media Academy Web site
Fremont High School
4610 Foothill Blvd
Oakland, CA 94556