In today's global, technology-driven economy, employees are required to excel at solving problems, thinking critically, working in teams, and learning continuously. School-to-Career strategically aligns the educational system with the workplace to equip students with the skills necessary to continue their learning and begin productive careers. School-to-Career is the most promising and viable movement in school reform today, precisely because it engages everyone who has a stake in ensuring a high-quality education and opportunities for all youth while providing businesses with a skilled workforce they need to be competitive.
Building on the vision of our founders, BaySCAN is organized to impact five crucial areas necessary for successful local implementation of school-to-career:
- Amplify ongoing work of partner organizations by promoting best practices, leveraging resources, and convening work on common issues
- Develop industry-focused networks to support and complement the work of partner organizations
- Organize employers to act regionally in support of local needs
- Promote school-to-career throughout the Bay Region by developing coherent and coordinated marketing efforts
- Build support for a school-to-career infrastructure through favorable public policy initiatives.
BaySCAN's work leads to more consistent, high quality and comprehensive implementation of school-to-career on the local level because our partners recognize the value of regional collaboration. Because we have a regional scope, BaySCAN has the unique ability to convene the critical mass of stakeholders needed to sustain this important work into the future.
Picture a school with no bells; students who are excited to get to class. Admittance is not guided by grades but a willingness to learn is essential. It's a school where every student has access to current technology; every class encourages hands-on projects and teamwork; and to give more context and purpose to the curriculum, each student is required to participate in an internship with a local employer.
Welcome to the school of the 21st Century.